“Fake it till you make it.” We’ve definitely heard this adage for so many times now that we can recite it in our sleep without stuttering even if we’re in the middle of a zombie apocalypse nightmare. Kidding aside, the same saying applies to a property investment. If you don’t have enough funds to undergo a renovation or to move into a bigger place, there are ways by which you can fake space and we’re giving you the deets on how you can achieve that.
- Invest in glass. It can be a little pricey depending on where you put it and how large it has to be. Nonetheless, glass has an uncanny ability to elongate dimension. This is because it allows for a continuous vision. For instance, opting for glass-door showers instead of the classic curtain opens up the bathroom because it removes a visual division.
- Opt for monochrome. Hues of the same family allow the eye to move smoothly across the space thus creating the needed illusion all while adding depth and personality. Avoid interrupting the flow by using off beat patterns or hues within the area. Stick to monochromatic colors.
- Make use of mirrors. For something that’s not as tight on the budget but still creates a similar enlarging effect, purchase mirrors to put around your home. Be creative in incorporating it into your space. It doesn’t have to be a full-length variant for you to check yourself. It can be in the form of a decorative item such as a vase or figurine. Anything that creates reflection, like stainless steel, does the same thing.
- Raise your curtains. To fake a higher ceiling and thus a more breathable room, make use of floor to ceiling curtains and extend the rods beyond the actual window. For a better effect, opt for curtains made of light and airy fabric.
- Let light in. Another trick that any interior designer knows too well is the use of strategic lighting. The presence and absence of it can create just the right amount of illusion to make any room appear bigger than it actually is. Moreover, the use of bigger windows allows for more natural light to come in which is a plus in everyone’s books.
- Be smart about storage. Any property investment will not only appear but will become even more spacious with the help of multipurpose furniture and smart storage solutions. With clutter out of the way, we’ve always got more space.